Laser Gum Contouring: 3 Signs It Might Be the Right Dental Procedure for You
The National Library of Medicine states that a gingival display of one to two millimeters when smiling is considered normal. But patients with more than that often express displeasure about their smiles. Laser gum contouring is a cosmetic dental procedure involving a specialized laser to remove excess gum tissue and shape the gumline. The process often addresses a “gummy” smile, where too much gum tissue is visible when a person smiles. During the procedure, your dentist or periodontist uses a laser to remove the excess gum tissue, reshape the gumline, and create a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing smile.
Do I need laser gum contouring?
If you think you have a gummy smile, it’s only natural to wonder if you could benefit from Dallas laser dentistry and its approach to gum contouring. Here are some signs that laser gum contouring might be right for you.
1. Your Teeth Appear Small
Excess gum tissue can make it look like you have small teeth. If you feel self-conscious about your smile because your teeth look too small, laser gum contouring can help remove the excess gum tissue and reveal more of your teeth.
2. Uneven Gum Tissues
If you have uneven gums, it can make your smile appear asymmetrical. Laser gum contouring can help reshape the gumline to create a more even and aesthetically pleasing smile. This can help improve the overall balance and symmetry of your face.
3. Irritated Gums and Prone to Gingivitis
If you have excess gum tissue, it can be challenging to keep the area clean, and plaque and bacteria can build up and lead to gum irritation and gingivitis. Laser gum contouring can help remove the excess gum tissue and make it easier to clean the area, reducing your risk of gum disease. After the procedure, it is essential to maintain good oral hygiene habits to prevent further gum irritation or illness.
What should you know about the laser gum contouring procedure?
Gum contouring is a popular cosmetic dentistry treatment that can improve the appearance of your smile by reshaping your gumline. Using a specialized laser, this procedure removes excess gum tissue, evens out your gumline, and reveals more of your teeth, resulting in a brand-new, beautiful smile. Here are some key things you should know about the laser gum contouring procedure.
- Fast: One of the most significant advantages of laser gum contouring is that it’s a relatively quick procedure. Depending on the extent of the gum reshaping required, your Dallas laser dentistry team can complete the procedure in as little as 30 minutes to an hour.
- Painless: Laser gum contouring is a minimally invasive procedure; using lasers to cut the tissue means there is no need for sutures. In addition, the laser cauterizes the tissue as it cuts, which minimizes bleeding, swelling, and discomfort during and after the procedure.
- Good for your gums: You will enjoy not only a smile you love, but a lower risk of gingivitis as well. By removing excess gum tissue and creating a more even gumline, the procedure makes it easier to clean the area, reducing the risk of plaque buildup and gum disease.
- Evens out your smile: Gum contouring can also improve the symmetry and balance of your smile. If you have a gummy smile or uneven gums, this treatment can create a more even, natural-looking smile by reshaping the gum tissue to create a more proportionate look.
Laser gum contouring offers so many benefits.
Compared to the traditional scalpel approach, laser gum contouring offers superior precision, minimal bleeding, reduced swelling, and faster healing. You can expect immediate and significant improvements to the appearance of your smile.
- Little to no bleeding: The use of a laser to contour the gum tissue means that there is very little bleeding during the procedure. The laser cauterizes the tissue as it cuts, which means there is no need for sutures. This makes the procedure less invasive and more comfortable for patients.
- Faster healing time: Since laser gum contouring is a less invasive process and causes less trauma to the gum tissue, patients typically experience a faster healing time compared to traditional gum contouring. The average recovery time is one week to 10 days.
- Less pain: As the procedure is minimally invasive, it generally causes less pain than traditional gum contouring. The use of a laser to cut the tissue means that there is less trauma to the gum tissue, which can reduce discomfort during and after the procedure.
- Lowered risk of infection: The laser sterilizes the area as it cuts, reducing the risk of bacteria entering the wound and causing an infection.
Contact Dallas Cosmetic Dental today, and say goodbye to your gummy smile.
Laser gum contouring is a great way to improve your oral health and overall well-being. With superior precision, faster healing times, and minimal bleeding, laser gum contouring offers a less invasive and more comfortable approach to gum contouring than traditional scalpel methods.
If you have a gummy smile, uneven gums, or the appearance of small teeth and have been considering a smile makeover, now is the time to request an appointment with Dallas Cosmetic Dental. With our expert care, you can enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile that is selfie ready.